Friday 6 January 2012

House Portraits

I had a real desire to visit a local council housing estate and capture these houses.  Remembering back to my childhood, I had a particular image in my mind of what I thought was a 'council house'.  During the shoot I was reminded of my Nan, she had purchased her council home during the Thatcher years, however because she lived on her own she didn't have the money to alter it for a long time.  I have so many wonderful memories of that house, the cement porch, the wired fence, the orange rusty metal gate that let Nan know someone was there.  I loved that gate, I used to sit in the top part and swing from side to side while picking off chunks of paint to reveal all of the colours underneath!    

Usually semi-detached or terraced housing, the council estates were a mass of plain duplicated houses.  Of course I was mindful that some houses (like my Nan's) are now ex-council however, they will always have those tell tale identifiers from when they were built.    

  

House Portrait 1A 
House Portrait 2A
House Portrait 3A
House Portrait 4A
House Portrait 5A

House Portrait 6A

Photographing other peoples homes is quite daunting, it was a case of making sure that my settings were ready to go, clicking and moving fast.  The homes I chose were not the most attractive or tidiest but I felt most drawn to all of them, the textures are just beautiful.  I keep going back to House Portrait 1, my Nan's house was nothing like this but the gritty effect of the front and that entrance with the small blast of colour in the background lures me inside.  I want to go back and see what's down there!  Perhaps I could I when I go out shooting again.................?  

No comments:

Post a Comment