Sunday 8 January 2012

House Portraits 2

I went back out to photograph more houses within the Worcester council estates.  Again shooting on instinct and on the buildings that I felt were raw and beautiful in texture.

House Portrait 1B

House Portrait 2B

House Portrait 3B
House Portrait 4B
House Portrait 5B

House Portrait 6B
House Portrait 7B

I did visit my Nan's neighbourhood to see if there was anything left of the original style, however I was most disappointed to find that not even the an old metal gate existed.  It was within another estate that I finally found a few of the gates that I used to swing on as a child, and of course the accompanying wired fence which can be seen in 'House Portrait 3B'.  Amazingly 7B is the exact colour that my Nan's used to be all those years ago!        

I photographed these houses on a high aperture setting to capture as much detail as possible within the materials and while editing all of these images from there RAW files, I decided not to crop to heavily because they are as much about the environment as they are about the architecture.  Even though the houses were chosen on instinct I shot these in a documentary style to purely record how they are today, knowing that within a few more years they will have changed again.  

The house portraits were a wonderful excuse for reminiscing on times past, however it is still important to remember that their very existence has become blurred in a world of greed and materialism.  We are potentially in a reviving 'Right to Buy' era which caused the lack of homes and massively growing housing waiting list that we have today.  People will buy their homes if it becomes easier too because it can be a great investment, but do they understand the consequences if the government don't hold up on their end of the Right to Buy promise, to replace the homes that they sell?
                            

No comments:

Post a Comment