Monday 3 October 2011

No Briefs...

The magic words that all designers and artists long to hear, 'there is no brief'.  What, seriously??

Talk about a rude awakening, I've been in my own graphic design/photography bubble for the last 3 years and until now didn't realise how much of the creative expanse I had forgotten about.  It's like being able to fly and then somehow forgetting you could ever manage it, because you walking everywhere. 'Walking' of course is very cost effective, but will only take you on short and unsatisfying journeys.  

The depressing truth is that my creative thoughts have been choked in the name of the green stuff, diluted by the white value printer paper, otherwise know as my client brief.  Life after degree has become a production of horcruxes (1), each piece of work containing a bead of my soul at the price of an unfed mind.

On the bright side...

My senses have suddenly become busy with things (too many to list) that I haven't considered in years.  It is still on the bitty side, somewhat snowy but I'm really looking and smiling the creations that I love.

A current favourite on television is the Sky Movie introduction created by MPC Advertising and Sky Creative to advertise the their film channel.  Made up of a collection of a film clips in different genres, the viewer is taken around a 360 magical world where you are flooded with sound and moving images of space, pirates, fairy tales and city life.

The promo can be viewed at http://site.skycreative.tv/ on their 'Work' page, 16th icon along the top.


Film Still by MPC Advertising.



It is about escapism – explain the directors.  This is our invitation to our audience to enter another world.’ - Esther Wallace and Nick Tarte - Designer/Director (2).


As both Wallace and Tarte explain the short film is about entering into other worlds and for me it is this promise change which keeps me watching whether I've seen it once or a thousand times before.  This piece of animation is so diverse, a real cocktail of colour tones, textures and musical style which enables it to call to so many different viewers within a short space of time.

It is difficult to become bored with something that is so colourful and mood altering all in just 54 seconds.  It gives me goose bumps just listening to the subtle changes of music and how they have blended them all together, I even point it out to my family and friends when they pop round.  It's a crime not to notice all of the elements that makes this piece of design truly beautiful, especially in a world where we have seen and heard everything.

There you have it, within seconds of the promo starting Sky have me hooked, the perfect advertising campaign.

The above makes me hopeful 'it's all here in your head' (3) now just to use it already!
I am a certifiable Harry Potter fan, but enough said about that.
Sara.

    
References
1. Horcruxes are dark magical objects that hold a piece of a soul (J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince).
2. Sky 360 - http://www.moving-picture.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1045&catid=38&Itemid=873
3. 'It's all here in your head'.  Quoted by the sorting hat when sorting Harry into his house (J.K.Rowling - Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone).

No comments:

Post a Comment